September 04, 2008

Just Say NO ... to Republicans

From previous political posts I think it’s obvious I’m not an ardent Obama fan. Nevertheless—unless he backhands Michelle on national television or some such similar act—he has my vote locked in. Obama hits on most of my core issues, pro-choice, environmental, health care, get the hell out of Iraq (and yes, I know that means going heavier into Afghanistan, I agree with that). He’s smart, articulate, and I like to see glass ceilings get shattered by smart, articulate people.

But no matter who was the Democratic nominee (even if it were Edwards who I DID NOT LIKE AT ALL), I would still never vote for McCain. McCain is anti-choice, limp at best on the environment, and continues to support the Iraq war. With him in office, I am convinced we will be at war with Iran within two years. McCain is a liar and twists himself into Cirque du Soleil impressive contortions to court the very dangerous, very psychotic religious right. His pick of Sarah Palin as his VP is but the latest in that courtship. I frankly think that man isn’t firing on all synapses since the cruelly uncomfortable (cruel to us) hug he had to give Bush at the 2004 convention. I think the act of supporting the man who had so evilly attacked McCain during the 2000 election literally shut down some lights in the man’s brain.

McCain is also clueless when it comes to fiscal responsibility and the social infrastructure. The tremendous debt Bush has run up cannot be dealt with by keeping taxes low and cutting spending. How does he think he’s going to handle the credit/mortgage crisis that his party let idiots get themselves into? As much as I would love to see the sub-prime losers just lose their homes, I don’t want them camping out on my 4.5% 30-year fixed doorstep. Hey, I used to make a fair bit of money (and will again when I go back to work), I don’t like taxes either. I like kids growing up stupid even less. I like refusing to give change to freezing homeless people even less. The fact is, when the economy starts sucking, even upper middle class people have to see the poor and it disturbs them. And they start demanding government do something about it. So which programs is he going to cut to pay down this ginormous debt? ‘Cause I kinda doubt he’s going to cut all that corporate welfare that’s out there.

The one thing McCain has done that pleases me is that he gave me such a thoroughly enjoyable butt of jokes with Sarah Palin. I didn’t even need Bristol. She was just icing on the cake. And no, I don’t feel at all bad about picking on Palin’s daughter. Palin knew when she accepted the nomination that her daughter was going to be tabloid fodder. If dear old fundy mommy is ok with her daughter being held up to national (hell probably international) ridicule, then who am I to disagree.

But even if McCain were the same man he portrayed to be in 2000 (when he actually had my respect, if not my support, I was firmly a Gore girl), or even if a Republican that I did respect were running, I would not vote for a Republican. This party should not be rewarded for its monumentally horrendous performance over the last 8 years. They should be sent into a full scale timeout in the corner of the mall to contemplate its actions and think about what it did wrong. No party that has performed so badly, so expensively, so horrifically, should be allowed to hold power for at least as long as it took them to fuck everything up. By that point, a new branch of the party will have risen up, thrown the neo-cons and fundies out, and actually become a viable party for people like me to even consider again. By then the Democrats will have surely done their share to fuck things up, or the Independents will have risen.

But for now, Just Say No to Republicans.

No comments: